Frequently Asked Questions
As of 2019, our software currently is all 64-bit compatible.
If using the App Store version, use the instructions in this FAQ to convert to the latest retail version. If already using the latest retail version, simply download the latest version from our web site manually.
Mac OS contains a very obtrusive feature called Gate Keeper which can sometimes erroneously prevent our applications from launching.
To fix this, tell Gate Keeper to allow launching applications from "Anywhere" using the directions on the Apple web site.
Alternatively, right-click the app and choose 'Open' from the contextual menu. The warning dialog about the unidentified developer will now have an 'Open Anyway' button.
Unfortunately, due to Apple retaining a ludicrous amount of control in their App Store, we have run into some road blocks:
- Apple does not give us your name or e-mail, and therefore we have no record of your purchase. Because of this, if you download a retail version of our app, you cannot unlock it or get free upgrades.
- We've had to remove certain features from our apps in the App Store version to comply with their regulations.
- Apple takes a long time to review and post our latest versions for download.
We've created the App Store Validator app (see the "Convert to a Retail license From App Store Edition" FAQ entry on our site) to allow you to transfer your purchase from the App Store into a retail version. This will give you all the benefits of the full-retail version including any features we had to strip out.
Apps submitted to the App Store must utilize all of Apple's latest technologies, and contain very little backward compatibility.
Due to this, we have often compiled a separate App Store version that relies on newer technologies while sacrificing overall compatibility. Please download our retail versions of the apps if you are running an older operating system or desire the functionality Apple made us remove from the App Store Edition.
You have accidentally downloaded the retail version of the app instead of the App Store version! Please see our other FAQ entry about moving from the App Store Edition to the Retail Edition.
Occasionally, the internal updater inside our application breaks due to system updates. To obtain the latest version, manually downloading is required. See the other entry in our FAQ for how to download and install our apps manually.
Being on an automatic subscription plan gives you a reduced price every year to get the latest version of the app. The condition of this subscription program is that if you cancel the subscription, the license will expire one year from purchase and you will no longer be able to unlock the product. Cancelling a subscription does not automatically invalidate a license. It will continue to function as expected until the expiry date.
To cancel a subscription, please follow the instructions on this page:
PayPal often changes URLs on their server. But the last time we checked, after logging into PayPal.com, users can manage subscriptions here:
We do not offer refunds for subscription plans. Please ensure that you cancel your plan BEFORE the renewal date if you no longer wish to use the software.
The e-mail address on an account (which is also used as the login name) can be changed after logging in. Under the "Details" area of your account, click the "Change E-Mail" link.
To easily merge your account account into your new one:
- Login to the old account and visit the profile page.
- Click Change next to the e-mail address.
- Enter the new address (even if you already have a second account at that address).
- In a few minutes, check the new e-mail account for a verification link. Click it.
- Both accounts have been merged into the new one.
In the highly unlikely event that Koingo Software goes out of business and is not sold to another organization, we will e-mail a press release to our customers containing a special "Super User" activation e-mail address. If this e-mail address is entered in any one of our products in the unlock window, it will skip contacting our servers (which will likely be offline), and immediately register the software without using any internet access.
We realize this will mean anyone will be able to register our software, regardless if they did own a license; however, if we're out of business, it won't matter much!
If Koingo Software sells a product to another company, Koingo Software will allow you to continue activating the last Koingo version of the program from us; however, we will most likely no longer offer the product for download from our web site. Please keep a copy on your local computer.
If Koingo Software is sold to another business, Koingo Software will require the buying company to honor the ability for customers to activate the last Koingo edition of the software - or another equally fair compromise. However, we are not able to guarantee a free upgrades policy for software titles released by this new business.
Moving from the App Store version of our apps to the retail version ensures you are eligible for free upgrades if your purchase falls within the grace period! The retail version of our apps often includes features that Apple made us remove from the App Store version to comply with their ludicrous and often unnecessary regulations. It is also often also usually a few versions ahead. This means new features and bug fixes that have not yet made it to the App Store version.
STEP ONE: Ensure you are running the App Store version. If you already know that you are, you can skip to STEP TWO.
- Delete (or drag to Trash) every copy of the product from your computer.
- Download the latest version from the App Store by clicking the "Purchases" tab and then pressing "Install"
- Wait for the download and install to complete.
STEP TWO: Let us know about your purchase.
- Download http://www.koingosw.com/support/download/koingomasvalidator.zip
- Launch the Validator and follow through the prompts and either scan the computer for Koingo apps, or choose the .app file manually.
- A list of software titles will appear.
- Click "Validate" to link your purchases to your koingosw.com web site account.
STEP THREE: Move to the retail version.
- Delete the App Store version we just downloaded in "STEP ONE" by dragging it to the Trash.
- Visit this link and visit the product page for the app in question: http://www.koingosw.com/products/
- If you own the latest version, simply click the Download tab and download the current version. If you don't, scroll down and download the version you owned from the App Store.
- Choose "Unlock Product..." from the "License" menu in the menubar. This may be under the License, Help, or program menu.
- Enter the e-mail address you previously entered in STEP TWO when creating an account.
STEP FOUR: Check for upgrades!
If you realized you're using an older version of the app, you may be eligible for a discounted or free upgrade!
- Login to your account at http://www.koingosw.com/account/
- Click the "Orders" tab on the lefthand side.
- Click the "Check for Free Upgrades" button next to your App Store purchase.
- A free upgrade will be granted if it applies.
Unfortunately, Apple does not have any mechanism for importing customers into the App Store for developers. The App Store may be convenient, however, Apple has made us strip down our apps in their store. The retail versions are much more feature-rich.
Our programs often output various debugging messages if an error is encountered. To turn these on, hold down the Option key (Mac), or Alt key (Windows) and open the Preferences window. Click the Debug tab, then the Debugging panel. Turn on "Debugging mode" and restart the application. To view the output of the debug log:
- Open Console.app from Applications/Utilities
- Click the name of your computer under the "Devices" category on the left.
- In the search bar, click the filter before the magnifigying glass and ensure it is set to 'Any' and 'Contains'
- Type in the name of the app (without the .app). For example: MacPilot
- Hit enter
- Download DebugView from Microsoft.
- Right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator"
- Click the Computer menu and choose "Connect Local"
- Click the Capture menu and turn on "Capture Win32" as well as "Capture Events"
To permanently delete an account, along with more information about account deletion, visit the link below:
This will also permanently revoke the licenses for any apps and delete its order history. This cannot be undone. If there are any recurring subscriptions, these will need to be cancelled separately using the steps in our Frequently Asked Questions. Failing to do so will result in the account being recreated when it rebills.
Alternatively, unsubscribe from our announcements, but retain your licenses.
If you've had a change of heart, please feel free to use the promo code "loyalty4u" on our web store to receive 15% off any app.
Whether you are redownloading an existing purchase, or demoing the app for the first time, the steps are the same!
- Click the Products menu at the top of our web site.
- Click the Download text on the navigation bar below the animated slider.
- Click the red Download button below the Mac or PC version.
- Open the .dmg Disk Image (it should be in the Downloads folder). Sometimes, .dmg files will automatically open and appear on the desktop as a white disk icon.
- Open the white disk icon that appears on the Desktop.
- Drag the app to the Applications folder as normal. Replace the existing version if asked.
- Eject the white disk image and throw away the .dmg file.
- Click the Products menu at the top of our web site.
- Click the Download text on the navigation bar below the animated slider.
- Click the red Download button the PC version.
- Run the .exe installer (Windows) until completion.
- The installer .exe (Windows) can then be deleted.
There is currently someone online pretending to work for Koingo Software offering people a paid employment position at our business with benefits if they send them money. This is not us. This is a scam. Please report this to your local authorities and do not reply to them.
All older versions of our current products can be downloaded on their respective product pages. Visit the page by clicking the "Products" link at the top of our site, and choosing the app. Then, press the Download tab and scroll to "Older Versions" at the bottom.
If you're looking to download any apps that have been discontinued entirely, visit the link below:
APP_BUNDLE_ID mentioned below is the Bundle ID of the application. These often look like com.koingosw.DataGuardian or com.koingosw.AlarmClockPro9.
On Mac OS X
- Ensure the program is closed
- Open Terminal.app
- Type in the following line replacing the parts in caps with the values desired:
defaults write APP_BUNDLE_ID KEYNAME -TYPE NEWVALUE
Command Line Example:
defaults write com.koingosw.DataGuardian ResolveFileLinks -bool false
- Hit enter
- Quit Terminal and relaunch the app.
- Ensure the program is closed.
- Open RegEdit
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Koingo Software\APP_BUNDLE_ID
- Choose "New" from the "Edit" menu, and choose the proper type. Booleans (true/false) are DWORDs, Strings are "REG_SZ"'s.
- Type in the KEYNAME into the Key column and then hit enter.
- Double click the new KEYNAME to change the value to the desired value. If it is a DWORD/Boolean, "on" or "yes" is "1", and "off" or "no" is a "0"
- Click OK.
- Exit RegEdit.
- Relaunch the app.
While we hope at one point in the future to offer our apps in different languages, we currently do not have the resources to maintain quality products in multiple languages.
If you are interested in localizing our software in the future, please see our careers page.
Koingo Software has acquired Kallaxa Software, including its entire product line. Arise, Dazzle and WiFinder have all been rebranded Alarm Clock Pro, MacCleanse, and AirRadar respectively. Please redownload the Koingo version of the app, and login to your account to view updated license codes.
If you've logged into your account or retrieved an account summary and are surprised to see a breakdown of your account with only an e-mail address listed below, rest assured this is normal. Some of our apps do not require license codes at all. They can be unlocked after purchase using only your e-mail address! As of mid-December 2014, we've started adding license codes to new releases of our apps to act more like the industry standard as this caused some confusion with users.
Our apps come with a variety of license options for multiple users.
- Single Computer —use for any number of users on one computer.
- Student — available by special request only. This license is the same as the Single Computer license but at a reduced cost.
- Household — for use on a small number of computers within a single home.
- School — for use on any number of computers within one school.
- Small Business — for use in a business with less than thirty computers.
- Corporate — no restrictions on use within one business.
We regularly submit our updates to the Mac App Store. However, due to the tight and often unnecessary restrictions and procedures app approvals go through, this can take quite some time. On rare occasions, Apple may even prohibit us from updating the app on the App Store (ie. MacPilot), and you will be required to move to the retail version to move to the latest version.
If you purchased an outdated version of the App Store Edition of one of our software titles recently you will be eligible for a free upgrade!
See our other FAQ entry on moving to the retail version for more information.
Our applications are incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, this means that Apple has deemed parts of them unsuitable for the App Store. We have had to remove a few features from the App Store versions to comply with policy.
To move to the feature-rich retail version from your App Store copy, please see our other FAQ entry.
Some of our software does not use license codes. Instead, we employ "online activation" using only your e-mail address. For titles that do require a license code, these can retrieved by logging into your account.
If you are on the quest for an older version of one of our apps, they can be found by visiting the product page for that app and clicking the "Download" link on the navigation bar. Then, scroll down to the "Legacy Editions" list and choose the version suited for your system.
Purchasing this software unlocks any limitations in the trial and prevents the application from expiring after fifteen days. Supporting shareware is the best way to encourage continued development.
Our products come in a variety of different licenses to suit everyone's individual needs. The description of all of the different license types is available in this online help. Additionally, pricing for each product can be found on their respective product pages. For reduced student pricing, please Contact Support.
- Visit page for the program via the "Products" tab on our web site.
- Download and install the trial edition of the program by clicking the Download button.
- Access our online store with your web browser.
- Choose the program, license, and method of payment and proceed to checkout.
- Unlock (register) the product using your e-mail address and, if applicable, license code.
After order approval (which may be anywhere from instant to up to a week, depending on the order process chosen), two messages will be sent to the e-mail address used during the transaction.
The first is the receipt from the credit card processor (such as PayPal). The second will be from us notifying you the licenses have been entered into your account. Keep both of these for your records.
If an e-mail from us is not received within one week of order approval, login to the account page on our web site with the e-mail address used during purchase. All licenses attributed with the account are shown under the Licenses area.
Our software titles come with a free 15-day trial. After this period, the application will no longer permit use until it is activated. Please support continued development of the title by purchasing a license.
If you already own a license to the title and are getting this message, it may mean one of the following.
- The program preferences have become corrupt. Relock the app using your e-mail address as normal.
- Your subscription may have expired. This can be renewed on the Store page of our web site.
- You own a non-subscription version and you have downloaded a version newer than you own. The old version can always be redownloaded.
Exchanges: We offer a free one-time exchange for any product within the first thirty days of purchase. If you've accidentally purchased the wrong app, it can often be faster to ask us to switch it out than applying for a refund!
Refunds: We only offer refunds for apps that fail to run properly on the target computer and where there is no workaround or solution. Refunds must be applied for within 30 days of purchase and are only valid if we are able to reproduce the issue.
All of our software is fully compatible with the new Apple Retina displays.
Turning on the Debug menu and restarting the app will expose a number of hidden global preferences across Koingo apps. To enable this, hold down the Option key (Mac) or Alt key (PC) and open the Preferences window.
The licenses we sell for our apps are cross-platform between Mac and PC. The same license will be valid for the Mac and PC version without an additional fee. However, iOS apps are sold separately.
We take a modern approach to software development. We understand that it can be a hassle to keep software licenses up to date. Our apps are sold on a monthly subscription plan that is billed annually or as a lifetime license with free upgrades. This ensures you always have access to the latest version of the app with the newest features and bug fixes! Monthly plans can be cancelled at any time without penalty.
In years prior, we had offered "Pay as You Go" licenses. These were lifetime licenses to the specific version of an app ordered and paid upgrades would be charged for subsequent major version releases. This resulted in a huge split of customers being on various versions of our apps instead of the latest. This caused an overflowing support inbox with queries for outdated software. To provide the highest quality of support, we no longer offer this billing type and now only sell "current verrsion" lifetime licenses and subscriptions. However, existing purchases made on this type will be honoured indefinitely.
We are a forward-moving company and will continue to indefinitely support all versions of an operating system that have a user-base of at least 20%.
For older versions of our software compatible with legacy operating systems, please see the entry in our FAQ entitled "Older Versions of Apps".
We do our best to reply to all customer inquires as quickly as possible. However, due to the volume of messages we receive this may take some additional time. We thank you for your patience. Please do not submit additional replies to your ticket, or duplicate tickets, asking us to reply faster.
If this is an EMERGENCY, you can contact us live on iMessage. Please see our contact form for the current address.
You can view all support tickets that have been closed within the past 30 days or are still open in your account.
On some occasions, our support team may ask you to record a screen capture or take screenshot.
Mac OS X: Press Command-Shift-3 on the keyboard. A screenshot file will appear on your desktop.
Windows: Press Windows-logo key and the Print Screen key at the same time. The screen will dim for a moment when the screen is copied and saved as a file in the Screenshots folder (which is in your Pictures folder).
iOS: Press the home button and the power button at the same time. The screen will flash. The screenshot is copied into the Photos app and can then be attached to an e-mail or transferred to your desktop computer.
Video captures can be captured on Mac OS only using the "QuickTime Player" app by choosing "New Screen Recording" from the "File" menu.
What you do...
- Login to your customer account
- Click Orders on the sidebar
- Click the "Transfer to Another Account" button next to the order you wish to gift
- Enter the name and e-mail of the recipient and click the Send button.
What the receiver does...
- Create a customer account, or log into an existing account.
- Wait for the e-mail from the sender to arrive and click Accept Transfer.
- Visit your account page (refresh if necessary) and click the Orders tab.
All of our software comes with a free two week trial period. To grab a trial version, simply download the latest version from the products page. The trial will begin after the app has been launched for the first time.
When the trial ends, the app may continue to function. However, many features may be disabled.
Unlike many other products on the market, our apps don't dig deeply into the system leaving stray files all over the place.
However, our MacCleanse app is the one exception to this and on its support page has a special Uninstaller app.
On Mac OS X: To remove an app, simply drag it to the Trash.
On Windows: Uninstall as usual from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.
For the neat-freaks on Mac OS, you may also want to remove the following cache and preferences files. They are easily identified by either the app name or the "Bundle Identifier" (ie. com.koingosw.MacPilot).
- In the Finder, click the "Go" menu and choose "Home".
- Open the "Library" folder. If it is not visible, you can show it by choosing "Show View Options" from the "View" menu and enabling the "Show Library Folder" option.
- Files and folder matching the app name or "Bundle Identifier" are found in and can be safely deleted from: Application Support, Caches, Logs, and Preferences.
When an order is placed with us, an e-mail containing an account summary is sent out. This should arrive almost immediately. If you have not received this e-mail, and your purchase does not show up in the "Licenses" section of your customer account, please Contact Support.
To unlock the trial copy and turn it into a full version, launch the app and choose "Unlock Product" from the License menu. Enter your e-mail used during purchase. The license code is not required.
If you're having trouble, try these tips:
- Did you use a different e-mail during purchase? Notably, is the one on your PayPal account different than the one you're using?
- Are you using the correct version of the app?
- Was the spelling of your e-mail address correct during checkout?
To order the latest version of our apps, visit the Store page of our web site and check-out as normal. We have a flat-rate monthly fee for our apps that is billed annually or a lifetime license option with free upgrades.
For legacy licenses before we moved to our new sales model, you can check to see if you're eligible for a free upgrade by logging into your koingosw.com account, clicking the Orders tab, and then pressing the "Check for Free Upgrades" button next to the old order. If any offers are available, they will be automatically added to your account.
If you cannot login to your account, or do not know the password, reset options are available. See the FAQ for more information.
When accounts are first created on KoingoSW.com, we send a confirmation link to the e-mail address on file. This can sometimes accidentally wind up in the Spam or Junk Mail folders in your mail client.
This e-mail can be resent on the accounts page.
All of our apps are download-only and you will not receive a hard copy. Download the latest trial version of the app and unlock it using your e-mail address.
Still can't find the answer you're looking for? Open a Ticket